2018 was set to be the busiest year yet for IT within NFU Mutual, with a need for people to deliver to fast and high levels.
To support and develop this required high performance of team members, Conversation Space were approached to provide support to strengthen the 1:1 conversations that Managers were having with their team members
Conversation Space delivered a one day workshop underpinned by Conversational Wisdom® blending theory, thinking stimulus, small group discussions and plenty of practice.
The outcomes included:
- Appreciating the business case for having better, more robust conversations (including career and performance 1:1’s)
- Understanding how to set and agree clear expectations and aspirations within a conversational framework
- Understanding how to make 1:1’s count: mindset, behaviours, skills, framework & structure
- Exploring & practising how to give skilful, honest feedback in any situation
- Raising awareness of how to deal with emotions: my own and my team members
Since the running of the workshops, NFU Mutual have started to see more individuals who:
- Have clarity of their job and what they are measured on
- Understand how they are doing against those measures
- Have regular conversations with their managers to discuss their progress and where changes need to be made
- Have a desire to push their performance higher now that they have this support from their managers
- View giving and receiving feedback – including more challenging feedback – as the norm